Ambrogio Lorenzetti, Madonna & Child with St. Mary Magdalene and St. Dorothy



c. 1325
Wood, 90 x 53 cm (central panel), 88 x 39 cm (side panels, each)
Pinacoteca Nazionale, Siena

The three paintings, from the church of the former convent of Santa Petronilla in Siena, have been recomposed into a triptych in the Siena Pinacoteca.  The convent church was originally called the Umiliati, which may explain the words on the scroll: "beati pauperes" (Luke, 6:20, "Blessed are the poor, for theirs is the kingdom of God"). The predella of the triptych features the Lamentation over the Dead Christ.

More of St. Mary Magdalene
More of St. Dorothy