Master of St. Augustine, The St. Augustine Altarpiece

Circa 1490
Oil, oil gilding, and silver on oak panel, 54 1/4 x 59 in. (137.8 x 149.9 cm)
Origin in Bruges, Belgium
The Cloisters, New York City (accession number 61-199)

This is the central panel of the altarpiece.

In the scene on the upper left Bishop Valerius of Hippo ordains Augustine as a priest. (At the moment shown he is anointing Augustine's hands.) Below left, Augustine preaches in Hippo before his bishop. According to the Golden Legend (html or pdf), Valerius' mother tongue was Greek and he needed Augustine to preach to the people in Latin. The museum's description identifies the woman with the rosary at Valerius' left as St. Monica. This would be anachronistic (because Monica died before Augustine returned to Africa from Milan), but then so is the rosary.

The central scene appears to depict Valerius consecrating Augustine as Bishop of Hippo. The three men in white are minor clergy charged with various sacred items associated with baptism: a tall candle, an aspergillum (used at solemn masses for sprinkling the congregation as a symbol of their baptism), a censer, a box for salt (a symbol of preservation from sin to be  placed in the baptized person's mouth), and the two ampullae of chrism or blessed oil. The middle man holds the book from which the celebrant will read parts of the liturgy.

The museum's description of the panel on the right says Augustine is preaching on the Trinity, counting off the number three on his fingers. The upper right shows the "Parable of the Trinity."

This image in full resolution

More of St. Augustine
More of St. Monica

Photographed at The Cloisters by Richard Stracke, shared under Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike license.