Heinrich Tahedl
St. Rupert with Chuniald and Gislar

1949
Stained glass
Church of St. Rupert

At the bottom are Chuniald and Gislar, two of the missionaries Rupert recruited to evangelize in this region. They are believed to have founded this church in the year 740, according to the church's printed guide. This is why they are pictured with a maquette of the church.

In the center of the window, St. Rupert holds a crozier in his right hand and a salt cellar (his attribute) in his left. On the salt cellar is inscribed the perhaps word salz, German for "salt." As a bishop, he wears a mitre and chasuble.

The window is on the right side of the apse, where Mass is celebrated. Thus it is appropriate that the angels at the top of the window are adoring the Blessed Sacrament.

This image in full resolution
More of St. Rupert

Photographed at the church by Richard Stracke, shared under Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike license.